Documents to Check Before Buying an Apartment

Take a look at the title deed:

Check the title deed of the land on which the apartment has been constructed. The title should be clear and marketable. The title deed (proving ownership of the land) needs to be in the hands of the seller of the apartment.

The title deed gives you the history of ownership of the land. Who the previous owners were? The change in ownership of the land (as it is transferred between owners as a gift, sale or an inheritance).

Check the sale deed of the apartment:

A sale deed of the apartment gives the seller the right to sell. It transfers the ownership of the apartment from the seller to you. Make sure that the seller of the apartment has the sale deed (The right to sell the apartment to you).

You the buyer will have to pay the stamp duty and the registration charges.

The building approval plan:

The building needs to have the approval of the Municipal Corporation (Government approval).

The seller of the apartment has to register the documents with the Municipal Corporation to get the necessary approval.

Make sure that the apartment you plan to buy has the building approval plan approved by the Municipal Corporation.

Check for the Encumbrance certificate:

You need to check if the apartment you buy has an encumbrance certificate. The apartment you buy may have been mortgaged as a security (debt) to a bank.

You will have to check the sub-registrars office for any encumbrances on the apartment saying it is free from mortgage and litigation.

Land use conversion:

Land is converted from agricultural land to a non agricultural land by a Deputy Commissioner. The converted land is called DC converted land.

The Deputy Commissioner checks that the land has been approved by the Department of Town and Country Planning for land use conversion and then it is converted.

Your apartment needs to be constructed on land which has been DC converted.

The Building Completion Certificate:

The building needs to adhere to certain norms of construction.

The height of the building: Should not overlook a military installation.

Should be at a certain distance from the road.

Should be suitable for habitation.

Occupancy certificate:

Your apartment gets the occupancy certificate when it has the necessary water, sewage and electrical connections.

The occupancy certificate also proves that your apartment has been constructed according to the building layout approved by the Government.

The construction of your apartment is legal only once it obtains the occupancy certificate.